How to cook kichili samba rice
Hi there, this is cooking reviews where we share legit cooking tips for our readers around the Globe. Today we will be sharing an Indian dish called kichili samba rice. So endeavor to read o the end of this article for the full recipe of this dish.
Kichili samba rice is popularly eaten in India, south India to be precise. It contains a low glycemic index and is quite suitable for diabetic patients, this dish consists of samba rice, moong Dal, cumin seeds, and others used together in making kichili samba rice.
Kichili samba rice is a rare traditional rice recipe that is enriched with many health benefits, as earlier said it contains a low glycemic index this alone makes it very good for diabetic patients. It helps boost the immune system thereby fighting against viruses. This alone makes it a very healthy meal.
See also: Simple homemade Chinese fried rice
Kichili samba rice recipe
This recipe is so amazing and can be prepared in no time, looking at other recipes out there you might find change here because I tried out some new things and it came out amazing and delicious. So we will be doing justice to that today.
Ingredients for making kichili samba rice
- Kichili samba rice – 3 cups
- Moong Dal – 1 ½ cup
- Water – 8 -10 cups
- Salt to taste (add as required)
- Ghee – 8-12 tbsp
- Onions – 1 medium ( finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – 3 medium (sliced)
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Peppercorn – 3 tsps
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Ginger – little (finely chopped)
The above ingredients are what we will be needing in preparing kichili samba rice.
Kichili samba rice: samba rice is popularly cultivated in Tamil Nadu and some other parts of India. It is known for its small ovular grain size compared to the long grain basmati rice.
Another feature of samba rice is that it is grown for a longer period compared to other types of rice. Samba rice also has a different taste unlike regular rice, it is starchy and has a corny flavor. For this recipe, we will be making use of 3 cups of this samba rice.
Moong Dal: moong Dal also known as mung bean or green gram is widely cultivated in eastern, southeastern, and southern Asia.
It is used as one of the ingredients in this recipe. It is used in both savory and sweet dishes. For kichili samba rice we will be Making use of 1½ cup of moong dal.
Water: water plays a very important role in making this meal 8-10 cups will be used. Your discretion will be needed to get your desired texture.
Salt: salt here is added as required. Adding too much will mess up your meal.
Ghee: ghee can be referred to as a cooking oil made by melting butter. Ghee has less lactose than regular butter. Traditionally it is used as a cooking oil.
Cumin seeds: cumin seed is a spice that is in the form of a dried seed usually grounded into powder form. It is a typical ingredient in many spice blends including, curry powder.
Ginger: ginger, cumin seeds, and cashew tend to spice up the recipe. Adding ginger to your kichili amba rice works perfectly, its flavor can not be over-emphasized. But adding ginger is optional.
Peppercorn: peppercorn is used to flavor meat, fish, seafood, vegetables, soup, sauces, etc and it will also be used to flavor this dish.
Curry leaves: who doesn’t love curry leaves? It is one of the secrets of every chef. Its flavor is just so satisfying. Curry leaves are widely used In India.
Procedures in making Kichili samba rice
- Measure your kichili samba in a stainless bowl add your moong Dal, wash thoroughly and sieve out the water.
- Add 5 cups of water and make sure it is above the samba rice if not add more water. Cover Allow to seat for 2 hours.
- When it is almost time, place a sautéing Pan on fire add your Ghee allow to heat then add your onion and stir till it turns golden brown,
- while stir-frying add your cumin, peppercorn, tomatoes, curry leaves, and ginger continue to stir-fry for 1-3 mins then add salt and stir, at this moment you will start getting nice aroma then add three cups of water.
- Add in your soaked rice and moong Dal mixture and put to a boil till the water is all dried up.
- Then serve and enjoy
Best served hot!!!
- Ensure you measure out all your ingredients before you start preparing this recipe, so as not to miss anything.
- Make sure you wash your rice and moong Dal properly before soaking.
Health benefits of Kichili samba rice
- Kichili samba rice is easily digestible
- It also contains pro-anthocyanins which help to reduce cholesterol and hyperglycemia
- It helps boost your immune system and fight against viruses which keeps us away from diseases
- For diabetic patients, kichili samba rice is very suitable for them
- Based on research it helps make the skin glow
- It also strengthens the bones and muscles.
FAQS ABOUT KICHILI SAMBA Rice
- Is kichili samba rice good for health?
Samba rice is very good for the health it is a good source of iron and zinc. Iron contributes majorly to the production of myoglobin and hemoglobin, Which helps deliver oxygen to muscles and tissues thereby keeping the body high in energy level.
- Is kichili Samba Rice good for diabetes?
The oil in the samba rice reduces cholesterol. It is very rich in fiber, I’m the sense that, it reduces the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and increases high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in the body. It’s good and highly recommended for people with diabetes.
- Is Samba Rice gluten-free?
Yes, it is gluten-free.
Kichili Samba rice is gluten-free white rice, which is a seasonal product. It is very high-quality rice that can easily compete with Basmati rice.
- Which is best Seeraga samba or Basmati rice?
The truth be told Basmati rice is a superior variety of rice. But people tend to have different choices, so whichever is your preference go for what suits you.
We have come to the end of this article, we have given the full recipe of Kichili samba rice to the best of our knowledge. To cook this dish is very easy, follow the procedures above and that’s all.
If you encounter any difficulty while making this dish drop it in the comment box below and you will be clarified. Thanks for Reading.
You might also like: