How to cook thooyamalli rice
Hello there, welcome to cooking reviews, a platform where we satisfy our readers with unique and legit cooking tips worldwide. In our last article, we shared about kichili samba rice; in today’s edition, we will share a similar dish called thooyamalli rice. So please sit back and grab a glass of juice as we do justice to this Dish. First things first.
What is thooyamalli rice?
Thooyamalli rice is a traditional white grain type of Tamil Nadu, India, known as pure jasmine rice. Thooyamalli rice has more refined grains than samba rice and is also perfect for cooking Biryani.
Thooyamalli rice is well known for its delicious and unique fragrance and helps improve digestion, like kichili samba rice. It is also a good energy source as it contains anti-ageing properties that help keep us healthy and energetic.
Also read: How to cook kichili samba rice
As kichili samba rice is excellent and healthy for diabetic patients, thooyamalli rice works more and helps prevent and cure diabetes. Thooyamalli rice consists of rice (thooyamalli), Ghee, onions, jalapeno peppers, and others.
Thooyamalli rice recipe
We all know that thooyamalli rice is a traditional rice variety, trendy in Tamil Nadu, India. Making this recipe differs, as my ingredients may differ from yours or any other, but trust me, my recipe is fantastic and easy to pull together on a regular day.
For this recipe, we will need a few ingredients. We will be making use of raw rice. Nevertheless, you can still use parboiled rice as the case. If using parboiled rice, you have to cook the rice beforehand in a pressure pot (cooker) or pot. To add more nutrients and quality, we will add vegetables, which come out perfect.
Ingredients for thooyamalli rice
- Thooyamalli rice – 3 cups
- Water – 6 cups
- Salt – as required
- Ghee – 8-10 tbsp
- Onions – 2 medium size
- Ginger – little blended
- Jalapeno pepper – 2 pieces
- Carrots – optional
- Cumin seed – 1 ½ TSP
- Curry leaves – optional
- Dry nut for garnishing
Note: all the ingredients listed above are for my recipe. You could decide to add your secret seasonings. What works for you is what matters.
Thooyamalli rice: for my recipe, we will use 3 cups of thooyamalli rice for this recipe. As earlier said, thooyamalli rice has a refined grain than the other conventional rice we have, and we can use it in making different other recipes like Biryani etc.,
It’s also ideal for eating with fried, grilled or braised foods and can also be eaten with soups, as the case may be. Another feature of this rice is that it is too soft and soggy, so it does not come out well when used in making fried rice.
You might also like: Simple homemade Chinese fried rice
Ghee: Ghee can be referred to as a cooking oil made by melting butter. Ghee has less lactose than regular butter. Traditionally it is used as a cooking oil.
Onions: onions are a delicate flavour for this recipe; 2 medium bulbs will be used and should be finely diced.
Ginger: Ginger, and cumin seeds, tend to spice up the recipe. Adding ginger to your kichili amba rice works perfectly. We can not overemphasize its excellent flavour. But adding ginger is optional.
Salt: salt here is added as required. Adding too much will mess up your meal.
Jalapeno pepper: jalapeno pepper is a medium-sized chilli pepper mainly used for garnishing and adding flavour to dishes.
Carrots: vegetables are a significant source of nutrients, so I added some vegetables to this recipe, and carrot is one of them. It should be finely diced in a cubic form.
Procedures for making thooyamalli rice
- Measure your thooyamalli rice in a stainless bowl, add water and wash thoroughly, then drain out the water. Add 3 cups of water and allow to soak for 1 hour.
- When it is almost time, place a sautéing Pan on fire; add your Ghee, allow to heat, then add your jalapeno and onion and stir till it turns golden brown.
While stir-frying, add your cumin seed, curry leaves, carrot, and ginger. Continue stirring for 1-3 mins, then add salt and stir. Now, you will start getting a pleasant aroma and add three cups of water.
- Add in your rice and put it to a boil till the water is all dried up.
- Then serve and enjoy Best served hot!!!
- Ensure to measure out all your ingredients before you start processing or preparing this Dish so as not to forget anything.
- Endeavour to get measuring tools or equipment for a perfect thooyamalli rice recipe.
- Wash your rice and vegetables well with enough water to avoid dirt and germs.
Health benefits of thooyamalli rice
- Thooyamalli rice contains protein, magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc that are perfect for composition to help regulate a healthy and balanced diet.
- It also helps to strengthen the internal organs and helps maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- They also contain the right amount of carbohydrates which helps to aid in a healthy weight loss over time.
- Just like kichili samba rice, thooyamalli rice also aids smooth digestion.
- It is also high in protein and calcium and is often recommended for children, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and athletes.
- Thooyamalli rice is rich in antioxidants and helps keep healthy and shiny skin.
- It keeps the mind active and attentive. It also strengthens the memory.
- They help build better immunity and protect us from various diseases.
FAQS ABOUT THOOYAMALLI RICE
1. Is Thooyamalli rice good for diabetes?
Yes, it is highly recommended for diabetic patients. This type of rice (thooyamalli) is highly suitable for diabetes patients as it has a low Glycemic Index value.
2. What is Thooyamalli rice in English?
Thooyamalli rice is also known as “Pure Jasmine rice”; some countries or communities spell it as ” Thuyamalli. ‘ The name is derived from the word “Thooya”, which represents ‘Pure’, and Malli, which stands for ‘Jasmine.
3. Is Thooyamalli rice good for health?
Yes, it is. Thooyamalli rice contains protein, magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc that are perfect for composition to help regulate a healthy and balanced diet.
So this is going to wrap up today’s edition of thooyamalli rice; this Dish is straightforward to pull together. Just follow the above procedure and see yourself become a PRO in making this Dish.
If you encounter any difficulties or have any contributions, please drop them in the comment box below, and we will attend to them.
See more recipes: Simple homemade Croissants recipe